Saturday, April 17, 2010

Cooking Inspiration

I have been feeling inspired to cook more by Jamie Oliver's new show. I like how simple his ideas are. He just advocates using fresh ingredients instead of processed food. Lately I have really been trying to make the meals that I can instead of buying them. Like making chicken nuggets instead of buying them. (Jamie's demo on what goes into chicken nuggets was really gross.)

Another recent food inspiration came from a mom's night out I recently attended. One of the mothers said she did theme nights to make meal planning easier. For example, they always do a soup on Monday. I thought this was a cool idea. We started doing 3 theme nights a week. We have fish on Monday, soup on Wednesday and pizza on Friday.

Tonight we made a home made pizza. (We had dinner with Nonna and Poppi on Friday so we moved pizza from Friday to Saturday this week.) I bought tomato paste and cheese but we made the pizza crust from scratch. We took a special trip to the store for toppings. Each family member got to select a topping. I selected orange bell peppers, Daddy decided on pineapple, Kae choose green beans and Izee picked tomatoes. (We had to help Izee make his choice.) After careful consideration, Kae decided he didn't want his green beans on his pizza. Instead he wanted them beside his pizza. Dinner turned out great! The pineapple, pepper and tomato pizza was delicious! I'm really excited to continue the tradition of Pizza Friday. I think it could be really fun this summer when we go to the farmer's market to pick out fresh veggies for our toppings.

(our pizza about to go into the oven)

(our cooked pizza, fresh from the oven, with sauteed green beans right beside it)

No comments:

Post a Comment