Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Life of a Stay-at-Home Dad

I had to train full-time for the last 2 weeks so Andrew got to do the stay-at-home dad thing. I didn't really like working that much because I missed my kids like crazy. Now I'm working my regular schedule of Mondays and Fridays and half a day on Saturdays. Since I was at work so much the last couple weeks, I'm going to let Andrew write this blog.

Um, yeah. So I had to suddenly become a stay-at-home dad, which was very new to me. For the first week, I brought the kids to a few play dates, including one at the pool. As it turns out, taking two young kids, neither of which swim yet, to the pool by yourself is just as difficult as it sounds. The best part is when you're trying to change one while the other is either crawling or running back toward the water. I've discovered so many potential uses for tranquilizer darts in the past few weeks :)

Last week was extremely hectic. First of all, Pastor Leta discovered I was unemployed, and requested I help out with vacation bible school at our church. How can you say no to that? All those years of being a camp counselor paid off, as I was able to control my kids fairly easily. Which is quite a feat, considering they were already in summer vacation mode.

Kae was in the preschool vacation bible school group, and had a blast! I saw him during the last activity of each day, and he was having a great time singing and dancing with his new friends. And one of his friends taught him how to make funny faces, too, so that's always a bonus :)

The same week, however, Izee became sick with croup, so we needed Nonna and Poppi (Alicia's parents) to watch him instead of having him play in the church nursery. His croup became quite severe on Wednesday, so he spent the rest of the week in the hospital. So I was helping out with vacation bible school with very little sleep. A true test of being able to fake enthusiasm. Thank goodness for coffee!

Overall, a successful couple of weeks. But seriously, I miss my job. And no, I don't have any great pictures. I don't remember to bring the camera with me, and personally, I think the fact that both kids are (now) happy and healthy should count for a lot ;)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Andrew!!! That would have been the first thing I asked too, where are the pictures? Good luck with the new schedule and having some one on one time with the boys.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete